Hi All –
Happy Friday! Hope you’ve had a good week – especially those couple of lovely, warm days! – and have plans for a great weekend. Sounds like it’s going to be rainy, but at least it’s not snow, right?
Anyway, here’s what’s happening this weekend at church:
- On Sunday, I’ll offer the second sermon in my Lenten series, “Willing to Pay the Price,” which is entitled “Betrayed and Denied.” We’ll consider together how Jesus suffered betrayal and denial by those closest to him, and unfortunately, how we still can do that today. Our worship will also feature the music of our Children’s Choir at 11, Vanessa and Alan Foskey at both services, and of course, our Chancel Choir at 11.
- This Sunday we’re also celebrating Boy Scout Sunday. We’ll welcome Scouts and their families from our Boy Scout Troop 443 and Cub Pack 443. They’ll be serving as ushers, greeters and readers. We’ll hear from their leaders about their activities and accomplishments this year. And don’t forget – the Boy Scouts will be offering their always-wonderful PANCAKE BREAKFAST FROM 7:30 – 10:30 am. So make plans now to have breakfast at church this Sunday. It’s a great way to support our Scouts and also have a great time with your family and friends over delicious pancakes!
- Don’t forget that we’re still looking for donations of individually wrapped candy for our Easter Egg Hunt which takes place on March 25. We’re also in need of plastic eggs. Please put your donations in the bin in the Welcome Center area.
- We’re also still looking for help with the Rotating Homeless Shelter the week of March 5th. I’m happy to report that some people answered the call for help after last Sunday’s services, but we still need some more, and also some donations of food and supplies. Please see the lists on the Missions bulletin board in the Hospitality Area, and help in any way that you can.
- The Prom Boutique is up and running again. For now, in February, it is open on Wednesday nights from 6:30 – 8, but starting in March it will also be open on Saturday mornings from 10 – 12. Please let any young woman that you know might be going to the prom about this wonderful opportunity to get a practically new prom dress for free!
o Next Sunday, March 4th, our dear friend and former member Cathy Gohlke will be at church with copies of her new book, Until We Find Home. You can buy one during the hospitality hour – paperbacks are $15 and hardbacks $25. Checks can be made out to Cathy Gohlke. Cathy will be happy to sign each book that is sold, and part of the profits come back to the church for our ministries.
o The Sunday after that, March 11th, is UMCOR Sunday (formerly known as One Great Hour of Sharing Sunday). That is the day on which we give toward the operating budget of the United Methodist Committee on Relief. You’ll be given an envelope in your bulletin on the 4th, and we invite you to pray about your gift, then bring the envelope with you to worship on the 11th. Our church has historically given amazing financial gifts to UMCOR Sunday, and I hope we’ll do the same thing this year!
Well, I think that’s it for now. As you can see, we have a great weekend ahead, so I hope you’ll be a part of it all. In the meantime, have a great Friday. After you finish work today, put your feet up and take some time for yourself. Spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you in worship on Sunday!
Grace and Peace,