Hi All –
Happy Friday! Hope you’ve had a good week and are getting ready for a great weekend! Looking out my home office window and the sun is peeking through the trees, so it looks like it’s going to be a nice day! Enjoy!
Here’s what’s happening at church this weekend:
- - On Sunday morning, I’ll conclude my “Show Me a Sign” sermon series with “Burning Bushes and Fishing Nets.” We’ll think together about the way God calls each of us to do special things with our lives. We’ll have the joy of hearing both the Children’s Choir and the Handbell Choir, as well as our always wonderful Chancel Choir. It will be a great morning of music!
- - On Sunday evening, the youth group will meet, but starting this week, it will be at a new time. They will now be meeting from 6 – 8 pm. All youth are invited to come and take part in the fun, fellowship and learning! Questions? Text Sandy at 443-309-0160.
- A few reminders:
- o We’re working on gathering goodies for the next College Care Packages which will go out mid-February, so please bring your donations of things like candy, gum, granola bars, microwavable soup/mac ‘n cheese, etc., crackers and cookies and place them in the donation box near the Welcome Center.
- o Our church has responsibility for the Emergency Homeless Shelter the week of March 5th. We need to provide hosts, hostesses and people to stay overnight. If you can help with any of these things, please sign up on the poster that is located on the Missions bulletin board in the Hospitality Area.
- o This is the last Sunday to sign up for this year’s Dinner Groups. There will be an insert in the bulletin to use if you’re interested in being part of this great fellowship opportunity in our church, where groups of eight people go out to dinner once a month.
- o JOY OF FAITH Dinner tickets will be on sale again this week in the Hospitality Area after both services. The dinner will be held on Saturday, February 3rd at 5 pm prior to Kevin Reilly’s presentation in the sanctuary at 7. Be sure to get your tickets soon, because this dinner almost always sells out, and we only have 150 tickets in total available.
- - There are a couple of things coming up next week to know about:
- o On Wednesday, January 31st there will be a presentation in the Elkton Library from 6:30-8:30 about Dreamers and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival). I’m sure you’ve heard about this on the news, but if you’re not sure you’re clear about it, here’s a good opportunity to learn more. Our own Carlos Reyes will be on hand that night. Bishop Johnson and all of the Bishops of the UMC encourage us to learn more and be in prayer about it.
- o The WIRED WORD discussion group which Pastor Ray leads, is moving their meeting night in the hope that it will work better for more people’s schedules. They’ll now
- be meeting on the first Thursday of each month in the Wesley Wing Conference Room at 7 pm. This Thursday they’ll be looking at the change in tax laws which might affect charitable giving, and what the Bible says about giving and generosity. All are welcome to come and join in the discussion!
- o It’s hard to believe that Lent is just around the corner (it starts on Ash Wednesday, February 14th). But that means that our Chancel Choir is getting ready to start rehearsing for their Lenten cantata, and they’re on the lookout, once again, for singers who’d like to join them for this adventure. Even if you can’t join the choir altogether, you can sing for just the cantata, and the first rehearsal will be this Wednesday, from 7-7:45 pm.
- Finally, our wonderful and always uplifting JOY OF FAITH WEEKEND is just around the corner – next weekend, February 3rd and 4th. I hope and pray you are getting the word out to family and friends about it. The Cecil Whig did a wonderful article about it on Wednesday, and yesterday I recorded a commercial which will play on WXCY this coming week, but now it’s time to do your part, and start inviting people. Please, especially reach out to young people, because I think the words and witness of professional athletes will appeal to them and challenge them! Just to remind you: Kevin Reilly, a former Philadelphia Eagle, who lost an arm to cancer, will speak on Saturday night at 7 in the sanctuary; and Dickie Noles, a former Philadelphia Phillie, who fought and won a battle with addiction, will speak at both of our services on Sunday morning. It would be great to have the sanctuary filled to overflowing for both days.
- Speaking of the JOF, there’s still time for you to sign up to participate in a JOF prayer breakfast next Saturday morning and help wrap the weekend in prayer. There are four locations – Elkton, Cecil Woods, the Elk Forest Road area, and the Town Point Road area. You can choose where you’d like to go, fill out the insert in Sunday’s bulletin and put it in the offering plate. Early in the week, you’ll be contacted by the host/hostess of your breakfast, letting you know the time and what you can bring. Last year, we had nearly 70 people at the breakfasts, so come and join in the fun and inspiration!
I know that’s a lot, but there’s a lot of exciting things going on right now! I hope you have a good Friday, and a great weekend! Enjoy some time off, spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you in worship on Sunday morning! And, oh yes, lest I forget, keep the good thoughts coming – GO EAGLES!!!
Grace and Peace,