Hi All –
Happy Friday! Wow, what a crazy week of weather we’ve been through! Ups and downs, ice and snow, school delays and cancellations, meeting cancellations at church, jacket weather today, and tomorrow rain! Crazy, huh? I’m praying for those hurt on the ice, including a couple of people from church, and continuing to pray for those who are battling all the bugs going around right now.
They’re really knocking people for a loop!
There’s lot going on this weekend, so here goes:
- This is the Women’s Retreat weekend! 80 of us are heading off to Ocean City to spend time with the Lord and each other looking at some ordinary women who did extraordinary things for and with God. Please pray for traveling mercies for all of us, and that it will be a time that draws the women closer to God and to each other.
- On Sunday morning, Pastor Ray Graham will be preaching for both services in my absence. That will be a treat, especially for the 11:00 congregation, which rarely gets to see him (the 8:30 folks see him on the first Sunday of every month for communion). Ray is a great preacher, so you won’t want to miss worship this week. You’ll also be lifted up by the singing of both Sid Bledsoe and the Chancel Choir.
- This Sunday morning will also be the first time tickets will be on sale for this year’s Joy of Faith dinner (Saturday, February 3rd at 5 pm). Representatives of the Evangelism Committee will be on hand in the Hospitality Area after worship to sell the tickets. Please note that this dinner sells out every year, so get your tickets early! There are only 150 available.
- Speaking of the JOF weekend (Feb. 3-4), start now inviting family, friends and neighbors to join you at church that weekend. It’s going to be an inspirational time listening to two former professional athletes talk about facing adversity in their lives and rising above it. I particularly invite you to reach out to young people and ask them to come.
- This coming Monday, January 15th is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and the pastor and people of Wrights AME Church invite all of us to join them for their annual MLK Day service at 9 am that day. Their church is located on Booth Street, straight up the street from our parking lot. In fact, you could park in our lot and walk to the church that morning, since parking is limited there. It is always an uplifting and inspirational service. I’ll be there and I’d love to see some of you there as well!
- Last Call for the Men’s Retreat – The Men’s Retreat takes place next weekend (Jan. 19-21) at the Riverview Retreat Center at Camp Pecometh – and there’s still time to register! Brochures about the retreat are on the counter across from the Welcome Center. The theme of this year’s retreat is prayer as reflected in the movie “The War Room.”
- We’re still looking for a few more writers for this year’s Lenten Devotional. If you’re willing to write a devotion, please email Sandy Lavelle at email@example.com. You don’t have to be a professional writer, you just have to speak from your heart.
- Finally, there is still space available on the Classic Christians’ April bus trip to Norfolk VA to see a military band performance, a NATO parade, a tour of the Norfolk Naval Base, and other things. Flyers about this trip are on the counter across from the Welcome Center.
Well, I think that’s it for now. I’m just about to pack my car and hit the road for Ocean City. I’m excited about the weekend, but I’ll miss being with you in worship. My biggest conundrum for the weekend is figuring out how to watch the Eagles’ game on Saturday and lead a retreat at the same time! Anyway, go Eagles!
Have a great Friday, and an even greater weekend! Try to find some time for rest and relaxation, spend time with those you love, and then come to church on Sunday to give God thanks for all his blessings!
Grace and Peace,