Happy Friday! I hope you’ve had a good week and are looking forward to a relaxing weekend ahead. A lot has happened this week – both good and bad – so I know all of us are ready for some down time! I’m hoping I can find some time to be at my favorite place in the parsonage – on the beautiful screened-in back porch – although, last night, when I went out there to do some work and enjoy the nice evening, that happened to be the exact moment that the neighbor behind me decided to power wash his house and deck – for three hours! Oh well . . .
Here’s what’s happening at church this weekend:
- On Sunday, I’ll offer the second sermon in my summer series, “Marks of Discipleship.” Last week, we learned again that disciples are called by Christ to go into the world. This week the mark of discipleship is “rejoicing.” We’ll look at that by way of a story in II Samuel when King David rejoices over the return of the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem. We’ll be blessed to have Brian Gilmore with us as accompanist, while Sharon enjoys her second week of vacation, and even more blessed when more members of the Gilmore family share their musical gifts as well – I think that will include Steve, Krista and even Joe! It’s going to be great!
- In Sunday’s bulletin, you’ll see an insert from the Missions Committee outlining this year’s school supplies drive. We’ve done this for many years, but this year we’re changing it up a little. Since all of the elementary schools in our area are Title I schools (which means that the students are given all the supplies they will need), our drive this year will be for supplies teachers need for their classrooms, that they usually buy from money out of their own pockets. So make sure you pick up the list in Sunday’s bulletin before you go out to buy anything – the list is very different from previous years. You can put donations into the bin in the Hospitality Area starting on July 22, and it will run until August 19th. Thank you in advance for helping with this! I know the teachers will appreciate it!
- The next Monthly Men’s Breakfast will take place next Wednesday, July 18th at 6:30 am at Cracker Barrel. The first meeting there last month was a great success with a wonderful turnout. As is always the case in a new place, a few tweaks are needed, but the good news is that there is plenty of room for more men to attend, so if you’ve never come, why not give it a try on Wednesday? No sign up is necessary, just show up and enjoy the food, fellowship and fun!
- Attention Classic Christians (age 50 and over) – please stop by the counter across from the Welcome Center on Sunday because there is updated information on three coming events – the picnic on August 6th, the bus trip to see “Sister Act” in September, and the bus trip to the Museum of the Bible in November. Please take a copy of the flyers and if you’re interested in either of the trips, sign up soon, since there is a limited number of tickets for each one.
- Finally, if you are one of the people in the church who is going to see “Jesus” at Sight and Sound in August and you have not paid for your ticket ($56.05) please bring the money on Sunday and turn it in to the church office. Payment is due to the theater this coming week.
Grace and Peace,