Wow, what a crazy week it’s been with the weather, huh? And now, I just finished watching the report on the weather channel, only to find out that there’s a 90% chance of snow for this afternoon, and we might get 1-3 inches. Oh, the fun never ends! Oh well, it is winter after all (well, not technically for a few days yet), but you know what I mean!
So, because of that forecast there will be one change in plans on our weekend schedule. We will not have a Classic Christians’ meeting tonight. We were scheduled for a potluck dinner and night of Christmas fun, but it’s not worth the risk of people traveling in bad weather or falling. So, if you’re a Classic Christian, stay home and stay warm, and if you know someone who usually attends, but doesn’t receive email, please give them a call and let them know.
Here’s what’s happening the rest of this weekend at church:
- On Saturday evening, our youth group will have its annual, very-popular progressive dinner. Participants will move from house to house for the various dinner courses. If you need information about the event, or want to sign up, please text Sandy at 443-309-0160.
- Sunday is the 3rd Sunday of Advent – the Sunday of Joy! We’ll mark it in some very joyful ways. First, the Chancel Choir will present their Advent cantata at both services. As you know, they always do a fantastic job, so you won’t want to miss it, and you won’t want to miss the opportunity to invite your family, friends and neighbors to come along as well.
- Then, our Sunday School children and youth will present their Christmas program at 10 am in Weldin Hall. It’s going to be great, and I especially invite you to come and support them. A lot of these children have grandparents who live far away and can’t be here to watch, so why don’t you come and be surrogate family for them? It’s not going to be a long program, and your attendance will mean the world to them!
- On Sunday afternoon at 4 pm, we’ll have our annual Blue Christmas service in the sanctuary. The Blue Christmas service is provided for those who have experienced loss or are sad at this time of year. It is a quiet, contemplative 45 minute service. So if you know of anyone who might benefit from taking part, please give them a call and tell them about it, and then offer to come with them, as well.
A few reminders:
- The last installment payment for participating in the Women’s Retreat is due now. Please drop your payment off in the church office.
- There is still space available for the Men’s Retreat, which takes place Jan. 19-21 at the Riverview Retreat Center at Camp Pecometh. Brochures about the retreat are on the counter across from the Welcome Center. This year’s theme centers around Prayer, and is based on the recent movie “War Room.”
- If you have not yet picked up your offering envelopes for 2018, please do so on Sunday. You picking them up saves the church the expense of sending them through the mail.
- Sadly, we received word this week from Meeting Ground that there will be no Rotating Winter Shelter this year. They simply were not able to get enough churches and other groups to sponsor weeks. Thank you to those of you who had already signed up. The Missions Committee will continue to look into ways to address the needs of the homeless, and will keep you updated.
Well, I think that’s it for now. As you can see, it’s going to be a busy, but exciting weekend for all of us. I look forward to being with you for one or more of the activities, and most assuredly, for worship on Sunday. So take care, have a good Friday and a great weekend. Try not to wear yourself out doing too much! Spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you on Sunday!
Grace and Peace,