Hi All –
Happy Friday and Happy December! Can’t believe it’s here already! Hope you’ve had a good week and have plans for a great weekend. Hope you also “survived” yesterday’s earthquake! Truth be told, I totally missed it. I was sitting at my computer at home working on my sermon with Christmas music playing in the background, and I guess I was so into the writing zone that I missed the earthquake! I saw on Facebook that many of you felt it, even as far over as Colora! Oh well . . .
On to what’s happening this weekend at church:
- Sunday marks the first day of a new Christian year – the first Sunday of Advent! Thus begins our four week journey to the manger in Bethlehem. On Sunday, we’ll take a look at John the Baptist, who prepared the way for the Lord by calling people to repent. We’ll see what that means for us today. We’ll also begin the lighting of the Advent wreath and we’ll celebrate the sacrament of Holy Communion together.
- Copies of this year’s Advent Devotional are ready and can be picked up at the Welcome Center. I’ve seen it already, and it is filled with really wonderful readings for each day of the season written by EUMC members and friends. You can also access it via the church website – elktonumc.org. (http://www.elktonumc.org/AdventWorship.html)
- The December newsletter will also be available on Sunday. It will be on the counter across from the Welcome Center and it, too, can be accessed via our website.(EUMC Dec. Newsletter)
- Our new church cookbook will be on sale in the Hospitality Area for $12/copy. They make great Christmas presents!
- If you give your offering via an offering envelope, please pick up your 2018 envelopes this Sunday. They’ll be on the counter across from the Welcome Center. You picking them up saves the church the expense of sending them in the mail. If you can’t find yours there, contact the church office on Monday and we’ll make sure you get them.
- If you have not turned in your pledge card for 2018, please do so as soon as possible. We’ll be publishing the results of the pledge campaign as soon as all the pledges are in. If you still need a pledge card, please see one of the ushers on Sunday morning,
- On Sunday night at 5:30, our youth group will be welcoming youth groups from other churches in the area for a wonderful December meeting/Christmas party. Youth are reminded to bring a gift to share in the gift swap ($10 maximum)
I think that’s it for now, except to let you know that the other night we had the initial meeting of a group looking into church security. We reviewed where we are at this time and talked about things we could do to improve the safety of our church. We’re planning on meeting with the police for their insight, but in the meantime, we are looking for more volunteers to serve as hall monitors and parking lot “knights”. So please consider helping out in this way, and then, if you’re interested in helping, please sign up on the sheet across from the Welcome Center. We’ll be having a training session in the near future.
Okay, I think that’s everything I wanted to share with you about the weekend. As I said earlier in this letter, I’ve been listening to Christmas music already and it makes me happy! I’ve also loved driving around and seeing how many people have already decorated their houses and yards with lights and ornaments! It really is the most wonderful time of the year, albeit the busiest as well! So enjoy every minute of it, but every once in a while stop and take a breath and take care of you!
Have a good Friday and a great weekend. Make sure to spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you Sunday morning as together we celebrate the first Sunday of Advent! Can’t wait!
Grace and Peace,