Surprise! Happy Thursday! For various and sundry reasons, I’m sending the end of the week email early this week. Hope it’s a good surprise for you!
Hope you’re having a good week and looking forward to the weekend ahead. There will be lots going on at the church, so here goes:
- On Sunday, I’ll offer the last sermon in my “Faith and Film” series, this week using a clip from the wonderful movie “Chocolat.” We’ll consider the ways we act in the face of negativity and conflict, and in light of Jesus’ invitation to us to love our neighbors. The Gospel lesson will be the parable of the Good Samaritan. Steve Gilmore will add wonderfully to our worship services as he sings a solo at both of them, and of course, the Chancel Choir will add their voices at 11. It’s going to be a great morning in worship!
- As you leave worship, there will be baskets at both entrances to the sanctuary where we’ll be collecting a one-time offering for our annual gift cards at Thanksgiving. You may remember that we give these gift cards as a thanks to those who have to work on Thanksgiving and can’t be with their family and friends. In the past, we’ve given them to hospital, fire and police personnel, toll booth workers, etc. This year, we’re giving them to the County’s 911 dispatchers – so please give as you can so we can show these wonderful brothers and sisters our gratefulness for their service to us!
- Downstairs in the hospitality and welcome center areas there will be a lot going on as well on Sunday!
- Our new Cookbooks will be on sale! This is the first cookbook our church has put together in nearly 20 years and it’s filled with great recipes from some of our congregation’s greatest cooks! I’ve seen a copy of it, it’s wonderful and will make a great Christmas gift for someone you love. The cost is $12/each and checks can be made out to Elkton UMC. They’ll be on sale next week as well, and at the upcoming Spaghetti Dinner and UMW Cookie Walk.
- Tickets will be on sale for the aforementioned Spaghetti Dinner on Sunday. The dinner will be held on Saturday evening, November 11th from 4-7 pm in Weldin Hall. Make plans now to attend, and bring your family and friends along for the great food and fellowship!
- We’re looking for help with the Spaghetti Dinner as well. We need bakers to provide our goodies for the bake sale (you can sign up to do that via the insert in Sunday’s bulletin) and we also need people to help prepare and serve the dinner itself. You can see either Faye Camors or Bethany Buckley to volunteer with that – they’ll be at the table in the hospitality area on Sunday. You can also send them a note via: Spaghetti Dinner Baker Volunteer
- Finally, don’t forget to pick up a Shoe Box near the Welcome Center if you want to help with the UMW’s Christmas Shoe Box mission this year. You can find all the details about the project there near the boxes. Filled boxes need to be returned by November 12th.
- CALLING ALL MEN OF THE CONGREGATION! Great news! The brochure about this year’s Men’s Retreat is ready and will be in this Sunday’s bulletin. The retreat, “Remember Me,” is centered on the recent film “War Room,” and will take place the weekend of January 19th – 21st at Camp Pecometh in Centreville, MD. Sign up early before the retreat sells out!
- - Looking Ahead – A “Kids’ Night In” is planned for Saturday, November 18th from 5-8 pm in Weldin Hall. There will be a meal and great activities for kids of all ages, while the parents are invited to join a few hours off by themselves. Parents, put the date on your calendars now, so you don’t forget!
I think that’s it for now, except for one more thing. As you can see from this email, there is an abundance of opportunities for you to get involved in and give toward activities in which our church is involved. That is only going to increase as the weeks lead up to Christmas. In this Sunday’s bulletin, you’ll see an insert that I put together listing all of the “giving” opportunities from now until Christmas. The list is extensive, and the reason I have done this in the past and am doing it again this year is to give you an overview of every giving opportunity we have so that you can pray about which one or ones you want to do. No one is expected to take part in every giving opportunity – it’s just too much. So look at the list, pray over it and decide what God is leading you to do – but please don’t try to do it all. There are enough of us to get everything done without anyone having to do it all!
Well, I really do think that’s it for now. Boy, you’re probably hoping I don’t do “Thursday emails” too often – I’m getting a little wordy today! Anyway, that’s it for now, so have a great day, a good Friday and a great weekend ahead. Ravens fans, I hope tonight is a good night for you!
Take good care of yourself, spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you in worship on Sunday morning! Can’t wait!
Grace and Peace,