Happy Friday! How wonderful is this weather? I loved being able to shut off the air conditioners again, and open up the windows yesterday! Sounds like the weather is going to be great this weekend, so get out and enjoy it!
Here’s what’s happening this weekend at church:
- The Homecoming Boutique will be open tomorrow morning at 10 in the basement of Weldin Hall. It’s stocked full of wonderful, almost-new dresses for young women of all sizes and shapes – and they’re free! Please tell any young woman you know that might be going to homecoming this fall to come and check them out!
- On Sunday, I’m starting a new four-week sermon series called “Faith and Film.” This Sunday is World Communion Sunday and the film I’ll be using in the sermon is a wonderful one called “The Hundred Foot Journey” which stars the great Helen Mirren. Obviously, we will be celebrating Holy Communion as well, joining with millions of other Christians around the world doing just the same thing. Also during the service we’ll be presenting Bibles to our 2nd grade Sunday School students – I always love doing that and showing them my Bible that I received from Mrs. Biles when I was in SS at Elkton UMC a long, long time ago! It will be a great morning in worship that you won’t want to miss.
- Also on Sunday morning, you’ll have the opportunity to sign up for two great events coming up very soon. One is our Blood Drive, which will be held on Sunday, October 15th. You can sign up to donate, but if you can’t donate, you can offer to help as a greeter or a canteen worker. Members of the Missions Committee will be at a table in the Hospitality Area to help you sign up. If you can donate blood, please do, because the need is great.
- Secondly, members of the Stewardship Committee will be at another table ready to sign up participants for our 5K Run/Walk/Stroll to benefit dementia/Alzheimer’s research which will take place on Saturday, October 21st at 9 am at Fair Hill. The event is being held in memory of the Rev. Jim Jones and is being jointly sponsored by our church and Janes UMC, the church Jim served for 27 years. It’s going to be a great and fun event, that we hope you’ll want to be a part of! If you have time you can register for the run now at: Run to Remember Online Registration
- LOOKING AHEAD – Our annual Harvest Food Festival is coming up soon! Next Sunday, October 8th, when you leave worship, you’ll be given an empty grocery bag and a list of non-perishable food items to purchase. You’re invited to fill your bag and bring it back with you on the 15th, at which time you can place them in the truck that will be stationed at the back entrance of the church. The food will go to fill the shelves of the Immaculate Conception Church food pantry (our mission partners). In the past, we’ve given hundreds of bags of groceries – let’s do that and more this year!
- OUR NEW COOKBOOKS HAVE ARRIVED! Our new church cookbook, the production of which was coordinated by the Communications Committee has arrived, and will be sold in the Hospitality Area starting Sunday, October 29th. In the meantime, if you’d like to place an order for multiple copies (maybe to use for Christmas presents!), please email Nancy Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds from the sale of the cookbooks will go towards continuing to improve our communications and technological systems at church.
- Speaking of improving our communications systems – if you haven’t filled out the communications survey on our website yet, can you please take a few minutes and do so? The information garnered from the survey will be of tremendous help to the Communications Committee. To complete the survey, which only takes a minute or so, go to the church website and click on the "News and Events" tab. Once there you will see the link to the Communications Committee Survey. Click on it and voila! You’ll find the survey!
Well, I think that’s it for now. As I look back over this email checking for mistakes and typos, and review what I’ve written, I’m reminded once again what a mission-committed church we are – and that makes me happy and I’m sure God is smiling too! There’s nothing more important than sharing with others the blessings God has given us! I’m inspired by the way all of you do that day in and day out!
Have a wonderful Friday and an even more wonderful weekend. Enjoy this lovely, crisp, clear almost-fall weather. Take some time to rest and relax. Spend time with those you love. And then I’ll see you in worship on this World Communion Sunday. Can’t wait!
Grace and Peace,