Happy Friday! Happy September! It’s hard to believe September is here already – wow! I hope you’ve had a good week and are looking forward to a long holiday weekend. A lot’s going on around church, so I’ll get right to it:
- On Sunday, I’ll preach a sermon about the cost of discipleship based on Matthew 16:21-28. Ed McKeown will share his gift of music, and we’ll share Holy Communion together. I am really looking forward to something new we’re going to do this Sunday – “the Blessing of the Backpacks.” All students in our church are invited to bring their school backpacks with them to worship, and during the service we’ll call them up front for a special blessing, and a small gift. We’ll also invite all who are involved in education to come up as well – teachers, aides, administrators, coaches, substitutes, custodians, cafeteria workers, etc. It’s a great way for us to acknowledge all of their gifts and pray for them as a new school year begins – so I hope all students and everyone involved in education will make a special effort to be in worship on Sunday!
- SPECIAL OFFERING FOR HURRICANE HARVEY RELIEF – We will be taking a special offering on Sunday to help the people of Texas and the Gulf Coast get back on their feet after horrible Hurricane Harvey. There will be a basket up front near the chancel rail where you can put your offering when you come up to receive communion. If you’d like to give by check, please make it out to Elkton UMC and write Hurricane Harvey or UMCOR on the memo line (along with your envelope/account number if you have one!). As you hopefully know, 100% of your gifts will go to hurricane relief – none to administrative costs. We cover those administrative costs annually with our gifts to the One Great Hour of Sharing offering.
- LOOKING AHEAD –
- Don’t forget that next Sunday, September 10th is Kickoff Sunday – the day on which Sunday School kicks off again and our Youth Group begins their fall season with the always fun Scavenger Hunt. There’s a brochure in this Sunday’s bulletin in which you can read all about all of the various Sunday School classes. Why don’t you try one this year?
- The Chancel Choir will sing on September 10th, but their first actual rehearsal is on Wednesday, the 13th, and they would love to have you join them. The Men’s Choir is looking for men to join them as well. Details about all of our musical groups are on an insert in this Sunday’s bulletin – so take a look – and if God has gifted you musically, why not join in?
- If you’re interested in joining Elkton UMC, there’s a New Member Class coming up on Sunday, September 17th – details are in this Sunday’s bulletin.
- Don’t forget about the Organ Concert that will take place at 4 pm on Sunday, the 17th featuring a professional organist from the Allen Organ Company. Mark your calendar and start inviting your family and friends. It’s going to be a great event!
- MISSION OPPORTUNITIES – In addition to helping relieve the suffering of hurricane victims through the special offering this Sunday, there are other opportunities coming up to reach out and help.
- We’re starting to collect goodies for the first College Care Package that will go out at the end of September. So if you’d like to help, bring donations of goodies like granola bars, packets of hot chocolate, ramen noodles, cookies, gum, etc. to the donation box in the Welcome Center area.
- We’re having another Blood Drive on Sunday, October 15th, and sign-ups to donate will begin in September, so be on the lookout for the table in the Hospitality Area.
- You can sign up to take part in the 5K Run/Walk/Stroll on October 21st which is being held in memory of the Rev. Jim Jones and which will benefit dementia/Alzheimer’s’ research. Sign-ups begin next Sunday, September 10th.
Phew! I know – there’s a lot going on! And now, one more thing. As I told you in my previous Friday email, the Communications Committee has put together a survey which will help them discern what is working and what isn’t working so well in terms of getting information to members and friends about what’s going on in the church. A good number of you have taken the survey, but we’d like many more to do so. I did it myself and it took only a matter of minutes to complete. So please take a couple of minutes, go to the church website – elktonumc.org/News & Events – and fill it out, or simply click this link- EUMC Survey -
Speaking of communications, the September newsletter is printed and ready to be picked up on Sunday on the table across from the Welcome Center. Don’t forget to pick one up – or read it on-line on our website (elktonumc.org). It’s the biggest issue of the year where you’ll get a lot of information of what’s going on this fall at church. Sept Newsletter
Well, I really do think that’s it for now! I hope you have a great Friday, and an absolutely wonderful Labor Day weekend. Continue to pray for Hurricane Harvey’s victims, pray for students and teachers heading off to school on Tuesday, and pray for workers on Labor Day!
Take some time this weekend to put your feet up, spend time with those you love, and I’ll see you in worship on Sunday. It’s going to be a great morning, and I can’t wait to experience it with you!
Grace and Peace,