Hi All –
Happy Friday! It’s been a couple of weeks since I last wrote to you. I was blessed to be on vacation last week in beautiful Bermuda, and for a whole week wasn’t able to receive or send messages, which I have to say – was kinda nice! It was a wonderful, restful week where I was spoiled by the crew of the cruise ship, and blessed with the company of family and dear friends. But on Monday, I was back in the office and hit the ground running, and now, it’s Friday, so here’s what’s happening this rainy weekend at the church:
- On Sunday, I’ll preach a sermon about the Kingdom of God based on five parables Jesus shared in the Gospel of Matthew. This passage directly follows the one Ivan preached on last week, which directly followed the one Carlos preached on the week before. (By the way, many, many thanks to both of them for covering for me! I watched their videos – they were both great!) We’ll also commission our Costa Rica mission team at the 8:30 service as they get set to leave on Tuesday, and we’ll be treated to the music of Jerry McNabb for the first time. It’s going to be a great Sunday, so don’t miss it!
- Just a reminder that the Adult Sunday School class that meets in the Conference Room has started a new study on Christianity and World Religions and they would love to welcome new members. They meet at 10 am on Sundays.
- You’ll see a new bulletin insert this Sunday about this summer’s School Supply Drive which will take place over the next two weeks. It’s similar to our drives in the past few years, so if you can help out, please do. There are a lot of children who could use the helping hand!
- A reminder to Classic Christians (age 50 and over) to sign up for the Summer Picnic which will be held on Friday, August 18th at 4 pm at the home of Betty and Ed Sprague. Details about the event are in Sunday’s bulletin, and the sign-up sheet is on the table across from the Welcome Center.
- ATTENTION YOUTH: Starting next week, the middle school youth will meet on Wednesday evenings from 6 – 8 pm, and the senior high youth will meet on Sunday evenings from 5:30-8:30. For more information, text Sandy at 443-309-0160.
- Don’t forget that John Sparks will be competing in the Demolition Derby at the Cecil County Fair this weekend, and one of the cars he’s driving will be the one we decorated last Sunday. So if you have time, go and cheer him on!
- COSTA RICA MISSION – As I said earlier, the Costa Rica mission team leaves on August 1st for their work with people in need in that country. Please pray for them daily during their time away. Pray for safe travels, good experiences, and a fresh encounter with God’s love and grace. The members of the team are: Terri Lokey, team leader; Megan O’Neal, Allison Rogers, Susan McDowell, Ted McDowell, Joe Tanner, Lenore Dreisbach and Debby Miller.
Well, I think that’s it for now. I know it’s going to be a soggy weekend, but make the best of it. Perhaps it will give you a chance to rest and relax, instead of running around trying to get everything done. Whatever the weekend holds, do spend time with those you love, and then, I’ll see you in worship on Sunday morning. I’ve missed you and it will be great to be back with you again! Can’t wait!
Grace and Peace,