Hi All –
Happy Friday! Hope you’ve had a good week and have plans for a great weekend! I know some of you probably have or took Monday off, so it will be a great long four day weekend for you! Enjoy!
Well, we’ve just finished a fabulous week of Vacation Bible School! It was really wonderful partnering with Wrights AME Church! Between their folks and our folks, we had phenomenal adult and youth leaders, and 65 children and youth taking part! The theme was “Hero Central” and throughout the week the kids learned what it means to be a hero for God, and how they can be one too! They spent their evenings moving from an opening gathering, to story time, music time, science time, outdoor activities and wonderful arts and crafts! And I was blessed to work with them on their mission project – helping to provide food for the Immaculate Conception Food Pantry. Each night I introduced them to a new hero (or heroes) – people in our community who go above and beyond to care for others. I had a wonderful time with the whole group this week, and I want to personally thank Katie Sparks and Glenn Davis (from Wrights) for coordinating the whole thing! It was really, really wonderful – and I can’t wait for next year’s VBS! If all goes well, we’ll show a video of VBS highlights this Sunday in worship!
Now, on to what’s coming up this weekend:
- Tonight at 7 p.m. in the sanctuary, our very own Madeline Funke will offer a recital. Everyone is invited to come and enjoy her beautiful voice, along with the accompaniment of Sharon Williams. As you know, Maddy has grown up in our church and now is a student at Shenandoah University (the school Sharon attended as well!). So come out tonight and enjoy some great music. It will be a wonderful way to start your weekend!
- On Sunday morning, we’ll have “A Service of Prayer and Thanksgiving for Our Nation” as we prepare to celebrate America’s birthday on July 4th. Don’t forget that there is only one service – at 10 am. It’s wonderful to get both congregations together every once in a while! The Providence Brass will be with us again to share their incredible musical talents! You won’t want to miss Sunday’s service!
- Also on Sunday, stop by the table across from the Welcome Center to pick up your copy of the July/August church newsletter. And don’t forget that you can access it as well via our church website – elktonumc.org/newsletter here.
- Tuesday, of course is July 4th, and as always, our church is going to be a part of Elkton’s Fireworks presentation. This year we’re not physically giving something away as we have in the past (water, ice pops, etc.). Rather, we are sponsoring a special event for the kids in the crowd who usually have nothing to do but wait for it to get dark and the fireworks to begin! We are sponsoring an appearance by Jungle John, who’ll bring an assortment of critters to show the crowd. The performance will be at 6:30 and we’ll have people and signs around the park directing people to the location. Before the performance, Jungle John will be making balloon animals for the children as well. The Town of Elkton is thrilled that we are contributing this to the event!
- On Wednesday evening, July 5th the youth group will meet at the church. All youth taking part in the Kentucky mission trip are asked to bring both bags, their tools and their bedding to the meeting that night – and if you volunteered to bring food, bring that as well. That meeting will take place at 6 pm.
- At 7 p.m. all youth in grades 6 through 8 and their parents are invited to come to a meeting in the youth room in the basement of Weldin Hall where they will receive an introduction to EUMC’s youth program. Any questions about either of the above meetings, text Sandy at 443-309-0160.
- Finally – one last reminder that the Classic Christians are taking a bus trip to the Ocean Grove Choir Festival on July 9th and there are still a few seats left. Details about the trip are in Sunday’s bulletin, and the sign-up sheet is on the table across from the Welcome Center.
Well, I think that’s it for now. It’s been a busy week, and it will be a busy, but great, weekend. I hope you’ll have time this weekend to rest and relax and find some time for yourself, even while tackling all your chores. Spend time with those you love, and then come and join in our one worship service on Sunday, where together we’ll celebrate and pray for our nation! I’m so looking forward to it and can’t wait to see all of you there!
Grace and Peace,