Surprise! Happy Wednesday instead of Friday! Since it’s a holiday week, and the office is closed on Friday, I decided to get my email out to you a little earlier – hope that’s okay – and hope you don’t forget what’s in here by Sunday!
As we look forward to Thanksgiving, I want to take a moment to thank all who
participated in the Community Thanksgiving Service on Sunday evening. It was a wonderful gathering – the sanctuary at First Baptist Church was pretty full! So thanks to all who sang in the choir, and others of you who were in attendance. It’s always great worshiping with other Christians from our community and to remember that we have so much in common with each other!
I hope some of you have had the opportunity to give away your gift card that we gave you on Sunday. I’ve loved seeing the stories you’re reporting on Facebook and look forward to hearing even more. I gave my cards away today to the guys who collect trash on my street. As luck (or God) would have it, they were right in front of my house when I got home today, and I pulled up and handed them the envelopes and their faces lit up with happiness! They work in all types of weather and deal with the stuff we throw out. In some ways, it’s a thankless job, yet they do it all year round and faithfully, come what may. I’m glad our church helped make their day today!
Now, on to what’s happening this weekend:
- On Sunday, we’ll mark the start of a new Christian year as Advent begins
. Advent, as you know is the four week season leading up to Christmas, and we’ll mark each week by lighting a candle on the Advent wreath. I’ll start a new sermon series entitled “The Things of Christmas” and this week it is “Christmas Wrap.” Come on Sunday and find out what that means. (Hint: swaddling clothes!)
- Also on Sunday, you’ll have the opportunity to continue your giving. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Contribute to the Mitten Tree (by bringing gloves, scarves, etc. for people at the Help Center).
- Sign up to bake cookies for the UMW Cookie Walk on Dec. 10th.
- Check out the Missions bulletin board and see if all of the needs have been filled for the Rotating Homeless Shelter that we sponsor starting next Monday, and if they haven’t, sign up to take part.
- If you’re coming to the 8:30 service, you still have time to bring goodies to be packed in the College Care Packages, which will be stuffed at 9:45 in Weldin Hall.
- Your offering envelopes for 2017. They’re on the counter in the Welcome Center area.
- A copy of the Advent Devotional. Of course, you can always access it on-line as well, through our church website, elktonumc.org.
- A brochure about the Men’s Retreat, which will be in the Sunday bulletin. Men, the time to sign up is now. The retreat will take place Jan. 20-22 at the Riverview Retreat Center at Camp Pecometh.
- And a reminder to the 80 women who have signed up for the Women’s Retreat that your final installment payment is due December 1st. Also, an invitation to other women that it’s not too late to sign-up – we still have space for you!
- As usual, you can see that there’s tons of stuff going on at church – that’s why it’s such an exciting place to be!
Well, I think that’s it for now. I pray that all of you will have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving, surrounded by the people you love. Enjoy the special time with those you love, give God thanks for all of the blessings in your life, and do find some time to rest and relax. And then, I’ll see you on Sunday morning as we begin our journey to the manger in Bethlehem. It’s going to be great, and one of the greatest blessings in my life that I’ll give thanks for on Thanksgiving is the privilege of being on the journey with you!
Grace and Peace,