Hi All –
Happy Friday, and happy beginning of a long holiday weekend! Looks like it’s going to be a great one weather-wise! Sunny, warm – all the ingredients for a nice, relaxing, picnic-having, parade-watching, family-and-friends-together kind of weekend! Hopefully, the pace of your life will slow down a little this long weekend – and you can have some fun and relaxation!
The pace of life at church this weekend will be a little slower too. But here is what’s happening:
- On Sunday, we’ll remember Memorial Day in worship with prayers of thanksgiving for those who gave their all that we might live in safety and freedom. I’ll finish up my “Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things” sermon series by focusing on the woman who anointed Jesus with expense perfume and tears.
- If you’re in one of the groups in our church who are assembling “flood buckets,” Sunday is the deadline for bringing in your supplies. Your group’s bucket is located in the Welcome Center area. Thanks so much for providing these valuable gifts for people whose homes have been inundated with flood water. EUMC and UMCOR (the United Methodist Committee on Relief) thank you for your help!
- On Monday, Elkton will be having its annual Memorial Day Parade (10 a.m.)! Our Cub Pack 443 has always been in the parade, but this year our church has a float in it as well! Actually, it’s a decorated truck, but the message on it is a message of gratefulness for those who have sacrificed for our country. Several people have volunteered to walk with the truck and pass out American flag pins to parade attendees, but we can certainly use more help! If you can help, go to the town parking lot on Howard Street at 9:30, and look for our truck – it will have our name of the side, and Larry Gaultney and Don Frye will be with it! But even if you can’t walk in the parade, I encourage you to attend and show your support!
- Our Vacation Bible School doesn’t take place until July 10-14, but pre-registration has started already! You can register your child/grandchild via our church website (elktonumc.org)!
- Speaking of our website – don’t forget that if you have to miss worship this week or any other weekend this summer, you can catch the video of our service via the website. Simply go to the church website – elktonumc.org – click on “Sermons” on the left side of the homepage, then click on “EUMC YouTube Channel" on the upper right side of the page. Our “YouTube Channel” screen will display all of the services from EUMC that you can watch!
LOOKING AHEAD – On Sunday, July 3rd, we, along with the rest of the country, will be in the midst of the 4th of July holiday weekend. On that day only, we will have ONE COMBINED WORSHIP SERVICE AT 9:45 A.M. The Providence Brass Quintet will be with us to provide uplifting and inspiring music, and together we’ll have a service of prayer and thanksgiving for our country. Make note of the time change on your calendar now!
I think that’s it for now. Have a great Friday, and a wonderful holiday weekend! Take the opportunity to be outside and enjoy time with your family and friends. Come to the parade on Monday, but even if you can’t, pause that day and remember the reason for the celebration. Lift prayers for those who died, and for their families left behind.
Have a great weekend! See you on Sunday morning!
Grace and Peace,