Happy Friday! Happy New Year’s Eve eve! Hope you’ve had a good week and were able to enjoy some time with family and friends, as well as some down time. And I hope you have plans for a great weekend!
Speaking of great weekends, what a weekend we had last weekend! We had great crowds on Saturday night for our Christmas Eve services! Many thanks to all of you who came, and to all who were involved in any way in the services. It took a cast of thousands and everyone came through with flying colors! It was a great Christmas Eve!
And then on Sunday morning we had a wonderful Christmas Day worship service. I was pleasantly surprised with the turnout, and we had a great time together. There was lots of singing, stories, laughter and joy all around. It was a great way to start Christmas Day!
Now, on to this weekend:
- Just a reminder that we’ll have ONE WORSHIP SERVICE this Sunday, New Year’s Day, at 10 a.m. We’ll remember together the journey of the magi to see the child Jesus and I’ll offer my sermon, “Kneeling with the Kings.” We’ll also celebrate Holy Communion and mark the beginning of a new year with John Wesley’s Covenant Prayer. If last Sunday’s combined service is any indication, this week promises to be another great and uplifting opportunity for members of both the 8:30 and 11:00 congregations to see each other and worship side by side.
A few bits of information and some reminders:
- If you give your offering on-line and you changed the amount you’re giving in 2017 from the amount you gave in 2016, don’t forget that you need to enter that information into the computer. Simply go to the church website – elktonumc.org – click on the on-line donations link and it will walk you through the process.
- If you use offering envelopes, you’ll notice that the first envelope in the box is marked “Initial Offering.” This goes to cover the cost of the envelopes themselves. We suggest a donation of $5.00.
- We’re still accepting registration for the Men’s Retreat which will be held January 20-22 at the Riverview Retreat Center at Camp Pecometh. Brochures about the retreat are on the table across from the Welcome Center.
- Women’s Retreat participants should have received an email this week containing information about the weekend. (If you didn’t receive it, let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org.) Don’t forget to send in your dinner choice as soon as possible!
Finally, an update on our Organ Fund Drive – it’s going great! As of last Sunday, we have given $71,746 (that includes your giving plus the original $26,700 - monies from the Memorial Fund and previous organ donation money). In addition to that, we received pledges for $6150 more – which brings the total up to $77,896. The cost of the organ is $104,500, which means that we’re down to having to raise only $26,604! Isn’t that incredible? I know we’ll do it. We got through Christmas with no major catastrophes with our current organ, thanks be to God! Cross your fingers that it lasts until the new one arrives! In the meantime, if you haven’t had a chance to give yet to the Organ Fund Drive, it’s never too late! There are offering envelopes in each of the pew racks that you can use – simply make your check out to Elkton UMC and write “Organ” on the memo line.
Stay up to date with our efforts by reading or subscribing to the EUMC Organ Loft
I think that’s it for now. I hope you have a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend! Enjoy ringing in the New Year with family and friends, and then, come and start that New Year out right by worshiping with us at 10 a.m. on Sunday!
May God bless all of you richly in the New Year ahead!
Grace and Peace,