Hi All –
Well, here I am with another surprise “Friday” email on a day other than Friday! Hope you’re having a good New Year’s Eve and have some fun plans for tonight! I also hope that you’ve had some time in this week between Christmas and New Year’s to spend time with family and friends and relax some as well!
Here’s what’s happening this weekend at church:
- Looking for a fun way to welcome in the New Year tonight? There’s going to be a Gospel New Year’s Eve gathering in Weldin Hall from 8 p.m. til ? Ed McKeown and friends (Jack Foreaker, the Reeds, A Mixed Blessing) will be offering the music. Tickets are $15/person, children under 10 free – and the proceeds go to Tidewater Gospel Relief, which offers relief help during the year to people who are struggling. Tickets are available at the door.
- On Sunday, we’ll celebrate Epiphany (when the Magi journeyed to visit Jesus). We’ll consider together what journeys lie ahead for us in the new year, and how we can follow God’s leading. We’ll also share holy communion together.
- If you use offering envelopes, you’ll see that the first envelope in the box is labeled “Initial Offering.” This offering covers the cost of the envelopes themselves, and we suggest a $5 contribution.
- We’re still working hard at improving our communications, and we’ve recently made a big leap in that direction. We now have videos of the Sunday sermons on our website (actually there’s a link on our website to our YouTube Channel). So if you miss a Sunday or missed Christmas Eve, for instance, go to the church website, elktonumc.org, click on “Sermons” and then click on “Video Sermons” – that will take you right to our YouTube Channel. Right now there are three sermons there – the 3rd Sunday of Advent, Christmas Eve and Dec. 27th.
- I know a lot of people make New Year’s resolutions to get more exercise, and if that’s you, don’t forget to register that exercise time with our Methodists in Motion challenge personnel. If you recall, we’re trying to do enough “moving” this year to move us around the world. As of today, we’ve moved over 13,485 miles which takes us 69% of the way to our goal. Help bring us home, by sending your activity information (the time you spend each week being active – running, walking, sports, yard work, etc.) to EUMCWalkers@gmail.com or text it to 443-350-4515.
- Speaking of New Year’s resolutions – why not make a resolution to come to worship regularly in 2016? We had a decline in attendance in 2015, not because people left the church, but because members attended less regularly than before (once or twice a month as opposed to weekly). When you joined, you pledged to support the church with your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service and your witness. Why not make a renewed effort to do that in the new year ahead? It’s not the same when you’re not here!
- January is going to be a really busy month for all of us. Here’s what’s coming:
o Conference Youth Rally in Ocean City (8-10)
o Women’s Retreat at the Dunes Manor in Ocean City (15-17)
o Men’s Retreat at the Dunes Manor (22-24)
o Administrative Council Retreat at the church (30)
o And then, before we turn around, we’ll have the Joy of Faith Weekend (Feb. 6 & 7
The New Year’s starting off with a bang!
I think that’s it for now. Have a wonderful day and a festive New Year’s Eve! Enjoy the day off tomorrow (at least I hope it is, for most of you). Take some time to rest and relax, spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you in church on Sunday (for worship and Sunday School)!
Grace and Peace,