I hope you’ve had a good week. I know there are a lot of happy EUMC kids out there who are smiling because school’s over for a while! I’ve been loving seeing all the Facebook posts about the amazing accomplishments of some of our children and youth of the church. Well done! And well done, all of you teachers and other school personnel! I know you’re not done quite yet, but please know how grateful we all are for the dedication you show every day to the children of our county!
On to what’s happening at church this weekend:
- - On Sunday, I’ll offer the next installment in my “I Heard An Old, Old Story” sermon series, and this time, in honor of Father’s Day, we’ll be looking at the parable of the Prodigal Son.
- We’ll be treated to the music of Vanessa and Alan Foskey before they leave for Texas soon, and we’ll hear from our fabulous Chancel Choir at 11, for the last time until September. They begin their well-deserved summer break after Sunday. We can’t thank them enough for the wonderful spirit they add to our worship services every week! Make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them!
- - Sunday would be a good time to sign up your children or grandchildren for Vacation Bible School, which starts not long from now – Sunday, June 24th. VBS will run from Sunday the 24th until Thursday the 28, from 5:30 – 8 pm and each night starts with dinner. The staff is planning lots of great learning and creative activities, so don’t miss this great opportunity! You can register the kids via the church website (elktonumc.org) or pick up a registration form at the Welcome Center. I can’t wait to work with the kids on their mission project! It’s always amazing to see what they do in just 5 short days!
- - Looking Ahead a Few Days – The next Monthly Men’s Breakfast is coming up next Wednesday, June 20th at 6:30 am. Due to the closing of the Elkton Diner, the breakfast has been moved to Cracker Barrel, and Dave Pugh tells me the management is very excited to welcome the group. So men, if you’ve never been to the breakfast before, this would be a great time to start coming, on the first day in the new location. There will be plenty of space available! No need to sign up – just show up and enjoy the fun, food and fellowship. Elkton Cracker Barrel, Wednesday, June 20th at 6:30 am.
- - Just a reminder that there are still some seats available on the bus trip to the Ocean Grove Choir Festival on Sunday, July 8th. You’ll have the opportunity to hear nearly a thousand singers join together in a massed choir singing in The Great Auditorium which seats 7000 and usually fills up for the concert! Cost for the trip is $40/person. The bus will leave the church parking lot at 2 pm, it will arrive in Ocean Grove around 4, leaving a few hours for everyone to explore the lovely Victorian town and have some dinner (on your own), and then head over to the concert at 7. The bus leaves immediately after the concert ends and arrives back in Elkton two hours later – probably around 11 pm or so. Sign up sheet for the trip is on the table across from the Welcome Center. Checks can be made out to Elkton UMC with Ocean Grove on the memo line and turned into the church office.
Well, I think that’s really it for now! Have a good Friday, and a great Father’s Day weekend! Make sure to spoil all the fathers in your life! Find some time for rest and relaxation on what is supposed to be a beautiful weekend weather-wise, spend time with those you love, and then I’ll see you in worship on Sunday when we spend time with the prodigal Son and remember the endless grace of God our Father! See you then! Can’t wait!
Grace and Peace,